- What is Deck Railing?
- Railing Cost - how much does handrail cost per foot?
- Types of Railing - what are the different types of handrail?
- Cheapest Rail - what is best priced railing
- Cost Comparison - what is the difference in price between types of handrail?
- Best Value - What type of railing has the best value?
- Aluminum Rail Costs - How much does aluminum railing cost, compared to Composite, Vertical Cable and Horizontal Cable?
Let's see if we can help better understand the cost and value of deck railing systems!
Deck Railing Explained
- Manufactured exterior railing is an exterior rated structural barrier that stands at least 36-inches tall (42 inches is required by code in some areas) and is installed around the perimeter of exterior decks, patios, porches, gazebos, walkways, walls, ledges, edges, and really anywhere it is wanted or needed.
- Exterior railing can be used for the interior areas as well, and comes in several infill options. Most manufactured rail systems employ posts, which must be properly attached before rail infill can be installed between. For specific information about railing collections please see the links below
So what is the real difference between products?
- Well, some deck railing systems have a better value than others.
- Treated may be the least expensive, but it's value is not very high.
- Vinyl products can be high in quality, but inexpensive ones can become brittle, and vinyl many not be the best against high winds.
- Iron is incredibly strong, but it is not steel and will rust if not properly taken care of. Aluminum is the best suited metal for railing as it has lower cost than steel, and will not rust like iron.
- Cable systems as well as glass systems use aluminum posts and rails to accomplish their "look".
- Composite railing has a much bulkier feel to it, and is more often used for traditional or classic rail profiles.
What has the Best Value?
- Metal railings such as Iron and Aluminum are in a range somewhere between ($40-$70/foot) and are the best valued products for entry level railing.
- Of course Aluminum out preforms Iron and even though it is more expensive, because it will not rust, it is the best valued railing.
- Not all railings are of the same quality though. Westbury Tuscany is a much higher quality railing system than any other thin-guage aluminum rail systems.
How much does Aluminum Railing Cost?
- The Price for Aluminum Railing Systems or Collections like Tuscany C10 Railing Series range from $50/lnft to $70/lnft (not including labor)
- Aluminum Railing price does depend on use of material or (how much material is waste) Post size: 2”, 3”, or 4”, Collection, Gauge of Aluminum, and Shipping Costs.
- Currently, the lowest priced all-aluminum railing system is Outlook by Keylink.
- Aluminum Railing is a Great Choice, that keeps value through durability.
- Iron is strong but can rust, Aluminum will not.
- Wether you choose iron or aluminum railing. Touching up railing with paint is easy and effective, anyone can do it.
- There are several collections of All-Aluminum railing; with a range in top rail profile, color selection, and price. Aluminum Railing collections usually have a “face-mount" or "base mount" post option. This means the post is installed on the top of the deck and requires adequate blocking of the frame under the post locations.
- Westbury’s Tuscany C-10 is undoubtedly the most popular aluminum railing systems, but other lines such as DekPro Prestige, and AL13 Home are beautiful looking systems, with a slightly different approach. See all the types of railing on the railing page below