- Cable Railing incorporates a range in style of handrail, and railing material. Cable Railing uses stainless steel fittings and wire to complete the railing infill.
- It is important to note that not all manufactures of cable railing adhere to the same quality of craftsmanship. Some brands do not use all stainless steel components, so it is important to research the the brand, and to not buy untested cable fittings.
- Posts, Rails, and Intermediate Pickets are made from reinforced aluminum or wood which can stand up to the cables tension. Cable Railing must be properly tensioned to in order to pass code requirements, typically a limitation specifying that a 4 in. spear cannot pass through the cable or railing. This results in a need for quality fittings and termination options.
- Cable Railing is available in Horizontal Cable Rail, and Vertical Cable Rail. Some cable rail is sold in panel kits such as 36" VertiCable Kits, while others are sold in packs and work with cable kits such as DesignRail Kits - Rail Kits.
Horizontal Cable Brands
Feeney is a favorite brand when it comes to cable railing. DesignRail Kits is an excellent value option and can even be installed via Do It Yourself! While DesignRail Build Your Own is a more comprehensive system with an astonishing amount of options. DesignRail Express is the third system which has more options than "Kits", and takes less time than "Build Your Own" See the updated Feeney Brochure for more!
Key-Link Horizontal Cable System is perhaps the next best thing to Feeney. KeyLink Horizontal Cable has a very unique cable tensioning where the fittings are pre-insterted in the posts for quick and efficient cable connections! Horizontal KeyLink Cable also has more cable turning abilities, and maybe better suited for some projects.
Elevation Rail by RDI Barrette is a great alternative for people new to cable railing, and who want to save money. The Elevation Rail system is truly revolutionary and won Most Innovative Building Material at the 2023 IBS Show. The system has a small number of skews, and each railing section houses a complete run of cable. For this reason, it's one of easiest to install cable railings, and one of the least expensive.
Vertical Cable Rail Kits
VertiCable C80 by Westbury is one of the top choices for vertical cable. Keylink's American Vertical system is a new addition, and is the best priced vertical cable system, and has some distinct advantages when comparing other systems of vertical cable railing.
Westbury C80 VertiCable 36 in. Cable Rail Kit
- Systems such as DesignRail the most customizable cable railing other there, and DesignRail Kits, its kit-form version, use thick-gauged aluminum posts, and rails along with pre-fabricated cable wire or CableRail Kits which connect to the back side of the post for easy installation.
- Systems such as ones by Feeney, Key-link, and RailFX offer Pre-drilled posts, set for residential or commercial Cable Railing heights 36" and 42". Level posts have pre-drilled holes for the cable and handrail to connect or fit into. The stair posts do not have pre-drilled holes however. Visit the DesignRail Kits Page for more information on post placement, type and how to easily estimate your materials!
- Similar to the Metal post style, CableRail Kits for Wood have a longer threaded terminal and are designed to terminate to the back side and through a 6x6 cedar post.
- These CableRail Kits include metal washers whereas the kits for metal include plastic washers. You can also Build Your Own horizontal cable rail system, using Feeney fittings designed for a variety of applications. Standard Lag and Lag Tensioning fittings screw into the face of a wood post for level cable runs. fittings by Feeney are used with wire sold in 100' 250' and 500' spools.
Feeney CableRail Kit 1/8" for Metal Posts
Feeney CableRail Kit for Wood Posts
Feeney Intermediate Picket
Feeney Stainless Steel End Caps 4/Pack
Feeney 1/8" Cable Cutter
Feeney 1/8" Beveled Washer 4/pk
Feeney Colored End Caps 10/Pack
Feeney 1/8" Protector Sleeves (10/Bag)
Tensioning Tool for CableRail Kits #6005
Build Your Own by Feeney
This collection of fittings works great with existing wood posts, fabricated posts, concrete, composite and more!